Thursday, November 25, 2004

Visit to Netaji Mercy homes

October 23rd
Visit to Netaji Mercy homes

Netaji Mercy home was located at the end of a very narrow street at Velacherry. There were about 25 kids residing there. All they had was a single hall to reside in and an open space to play at. We went there by around 11 and one of my friends was sponsoring lunch on that day. We got ourselves introduced to the kids. Some of them were so shy to begin with and so was I. But somehow I managed to conceal it. Then had a chat with the kids and then they performed a small dance. Had a look at the paintings they made. The guys wanted to play cricket and then we went to play in the small space in front of the house. Enjoyed the game a lot and I was as usual batted for some time and was given out by my team captain… unusual uh… One thing, which I really liked about these kids, was that they didn’t fight much and were so much disciplined. I wondered how many of us were like that at such a young age. I was so much impressed with this guy Vinod doing 8th standard, was so calm and composed all through the day and was helping the person in the preparation of food. He was also helping in serving the Lunch. It was time for lunch and the kids sat in the hall and formed a circle and before starting to eat sang together the Birthday song for our Friend. I was totally moved by that act. I had a very special feeling for getting a chance to meet those kids. We along with the Birthday celebrant served food and I am pretty sure that the Guy was more that satisfied to see the direct benefit of his kindness. Cheers to everyone who made the day somewhat better for those lonely kids.
But to be frank they made me happy in more than one way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home